2. Mt. Ulap – Very accessible from Baguio City. The trail isn’t that difficult even for beginners. Getting in and out of the mountain won’t take more than eight hours. In short, Mt. Ulap is the perfect day-hike. These are just a few of the reasons why hikers are trooping to this mountain (technically, it’s a mountain range). Located in the town of Itogon, you can reach the place in under an hour.
3. Mt. Yangbew – Think of Mt. Yangbew as the mini-me of Mt. Pulag. There’s a reason why it’s often referred to as the Little Pulag. The two mountains share quite a few attributes: grasslands and beautiful views of distant Benguet mountain peaks. Located in barangay Tawang in La Trinidad, hiking to the top shouldn’t take you more than an hour. Overnight camping is also allowed on the mountain provided that you pay the corresponding fees to the barangay.
4. Aran Cave – The town of Tuba has quite a few caves but it’s Aran Cave that attracts the most attention. Just a stone’s throw away from Kennon Road in Camp 3, the cave is perfect for a few hours of spelunking. It has pools of water inside, some of which are deep enough so that you can have a swim in them. It also has waterfalls inside. As icing on the cake, the cave system is adjacent to a small resort where you can have a beer or two, relax, or sing karaoke after hard hours of crawling, climbing, and swimming inside the cave.
5. Ambongdolan Caves (Paterno Cave and Bengaongao Cave) – The town of Tublay is home to several caves. Two caves that have been developed and opened for tourists are Paterno Cave and Bengaongao Cave. Both of these caves are located in Ambongdolan, a barangay that’s about 30 minutes to 1 hour away from the capital town of La Trinidad. Before going to the caves, visitors are required to register at the barangay hall and pay the corresponding fees. You will be provided with a guide, head lamps, and other necessary equipment.
6. Strawberry Farm – The province of Benguet is the biggest producer of fresh strawberries in the country. Most of these strawberries come from the Strawberry Farm in La Trinidad. Visitors of the farm can purchase packed strawberries from the stalls near the farm or they can go and pick the strawberries themselves. The farm is located in Km. 6 and is just a few minutes of walk from the main road.
7. Mt. Kalugong - This mountain which towers over the La Trinidad valley got its name from the huge boulders of rocks atop it that look like a hat from a distance. “Kalugong” means hat in the local language. The mountain can be accessed either through Banig, Tawang or through barangay Cruz. Mt. Kalugong is an ideal location for picnics. There are huts and picnic tables scattered within the eco-park. The place also has its own coffee house where you can sip on local-flavored coffee and munch on strawberry and chocolate cakes.
Other places of interest (write-ups coming soon):
1. Mt. Ugo
2. Mt. Purgatory
3. The Flower Farms of Bahong
4. The STOBOSA Hillside Homes Artwork
5. Timbac Cave
6. Mt. Timbac
7. The Kibungan Traverse